How often should you clean your makeup brushes?
Makeup brushes can become coated not only with makeup residue, but also with body oils and dead skin, making them havens for bacteria that will decrease the life of your brush, negatively affect the proper application of makeup and can also cause skin problems and possible infection.
It is recommended that you clean your makeup brushes after each use and that you give them a through cleaning at least once a week.
My personal brush cleanser – HARD NATURAL SOAP:
- Use hard natural soap and wash your brushes under the running water.
- Rinse each brush throughly in warm water making sure to get all shampoo residue off.
- Pat the brushes dry with the towel, then lay them flat on the towel, reshaping the bristles, and keep them in a warm, dry location to finish air-drying completely.
- You may need to reshape the bristles on the brushes so that they retain their proper shape after they dry.
- From my personal experience; Washing makeup brushes with liquid soaps will slow down the drying process and it’s hard to wash the liquid soap completely.
- You may wish to add 2-3 drops of TEA TREE oil during the washing process. Tea Tree oil is a great antibacterial and anti-fungal agent.
ADDITIONAL TIPS AND ADVICE:
- DON’T try to boil your brushes to sterilize them.
- There are many cleaning products specifically designed to clean your make-up brushes. They are OK but no need for them as the soap works perfectly fine.
- If your makeup brush doesn’t come clean even after using the above described method, it may be time to replace your brush.
- It is generally not a good idea to share makeup brushes as it is an easy way to also share bacteria that can lead to infection.
- When washing your brushes, avoid scrubbing them too harshly or you may loosen the bristles.
- Don’t skip the Tea Tree oil—it is a great anti-bacterial, anti-fungal agent. Tea Tree oil is an all-natural substance with a host of beneficial uses.
- Make sure your brushes are completely dry before using them again.
I wish you a great week!