It’s hard to find a modern woman’s makeup bag that doesn’t contain a few makeup brushes. However, something that goes by the wayside with these vital beauty accessories is how important it is to clean them at LEAST every couple of weeks. And here’s why…
Zoom into the bristles of those little suckers and you would find a myriad of things you would rather keep off your face: Dead skin cells, old makeup, rancid face oils and bacteria. Yeah, yuck!
So, if you’re suffering from breakouts for unknown causes, your makeup isn’t blending the way it used to or your eye brush is making your eyeshadow look muddy, these are all signs that your brushes are definitely due for a clean!
How to clean brushes:
- Find yourself some natural/organic shampoo and conditioner, you want it to be as gentle as possible.
- Fill a sink partly with luke warm water and squeeze in a tiny bit of your shampoo. Slush it around with your hand until a few bubbles are formed.
- For each brush, dip it in the water and massage the bristles with your hand until the water from it runs clear.
- Once all your brushes are done, refill the sink with warm water and rinse out the shampoo. Drain.
- Fill another sink load of luke warm water and pour a teaspoon of conditioner into it. Repeat the same process as you did with the shampoo.
- Rinse off the conditioner in another sink of water.
- Squeeze the bristles back into the right shape then lay them flat of a towel to air dry.
Sidenote: If you find the shampoo/conditioner isn’t cleaning your bristles very well, squirt a bit of liquid soap and small amount of water into the palm of your hand and swivel the brush in it. Follow with the conditioner process.
Ideally, after each use of a brush you should spot clean it with a few sprays of rubbing alcohol onto a paper town or tissue. Doing this will mean you don’t have to do a full clean as often.
I know there’s a few of you that are guilty of neglecting this part of your beauty routine (I know I get lazy with it) but let’s make a pact to keep those brushes (and our skin) as clean as we can. It only takes a few minutes but will save you from unnecessary skin issues in the future.
Get cleaning ladies!!